Normally, one has to submit a completed application, an application fee, an essay on one’s purposes and objectives, a latest resume, letters of recommendation, copies for any completed school courses, copies of standardized plying to a specific educational program based on the degree level (undergraduate, graduate, or professional) and the area of study (like commerce, medical, or engineering).
As testing needs differ by college and by program, contact the desired college to know about their testing needs before taking any of the tests. Following are some most common standardized tests and their details.
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP): It provides general and subject-oriented tests to examine knowledge at the undergraduate level. Students are offered credits by the colleges with passing marks, permitting the tests to meet course needs in specific areas. They are provided in paper form at a testing place where a monitor manages the examination.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT): It is usually needed for students applying to undergraduate programs. It evaluates the potential or ability of the students for school study.
- American College Testing (ACT) Assessment: It is usually needed for students applying to certain undergraduate programs. It evaluates academic growth and ability of students for school by testing aptitude in English, mathematics, reading, and science.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE): It is generally needed for access to all non-business graduate programs. It evaluates analytical, quantitative, and verbal abilities. It is provided in paper and electronic forms.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT): It is usually needed for graduate level business and administration programs. It evaluates analytical, mathematical, and verbal skills of the students. It is provided in an electronic form.
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT): It is needed for graduate programs in psychology and associated fields. It evaluates skills of reasoning or concluding with the help of analogies. It is provided in paper form.